Wednesday 15 April 2015

Onion Chicken

Did I not tel you that every dish has a story to tell.  This one connects my mother and my husband:)

It's my mothers quick recipe that she packs when either me or my sister travel. She happened to cook this once, when my husband was home. He just loved it  and could not believe it was so simple to make.  He named the dish " Onion Chicken" and I retained the name in this blog. Time and again he has asked me to replicate the recipe and I have failed time and again. He " claims" - Ria your dish is good but definitely not like your mother's. Well, today I had my mother send me the recipe and tried it out in my kitchen. Yet I could not match her dish. After all your mothers recipe is always special. Nevertheless we loved the chicken and had a hearty meal.

Onion Chicken


This is a very easy recipe ideal for working women who want to put together something for dinner after a long day at work. So, here goes - 

Ingredients

Chicken - 800 gms
Onion - 3 big - cubed
Kashmiri Chilly powder - 6 tsp ( gives more color and not as spicy)
Soya Sauce - 5 tsp
Lime juice - 1 tsp
Coriander leaves
Spring Onion (optional)
Salt
Oil

Preparation
    Onion Chicken
  1. Marinate the cut and cleaned chicken in 4 tsp chilly powder, 3 tsp soya sauce, salt and lime juice for about an hour.
  2. Transfer the marinated chicken into a pan and cook it covered on low flame until tender. No water or oil needs to be added as water from the chicken oozes out and the chicken gets cooked.
  3.  In another pan heat the oil and toss in the onions. Saute it for around 3 minutes and add in salt, remaining chilly powder and soya sauce.
  4. Add the cooked chicken and coat it well with the sauce and cook it uncovered for another 4 minutes.
  5. Garnish it with coriander leaves, spring onions and may be rings of onion too. Serve it hot with rotis.
Onion Chicken as I prefer to call it -  is ready. A really simple dish with minimum ingredients and quite fast too. 

PS: you can ignore the marination for an hour part if you are in a hurry, still retains the flavors.



No comments:

Post a Comment