Thursday 30 April 2015

Prawns/ Chemmeen Curry with raw mango

Prawns always reminds me of my sister - Soumya  -  a hard core non veg food fan, who is convinced that prawns cannot be categorized as non vegetarian food. She says - look at the size of it - how can that be non vegetarian? That is what she grew up saying and doesn't care much about prawns to date.

Although I love prawns, I have not tried many recipes with it. I was craving for prawns and that is when I remembered the curry my colleague used to often bring to office. Hailing from Trissur in Kerala, he often brought to office the traditional delicacies from the region.And yes, all of us have gobbled on it.I soon had the recipe in my hands, thanks to his wife who managed to write it down despite having a four month old baby and a lovely four year old to look after. 

 Sharing the Chemmeen curry recipe which my husband and his colleagues loved.
Prawns/Chemmeen Curry with raw mango


Ingredients

Prawns - 1/2 kg
Coconut - 1 grated
Raw Mango - 2 cut into long pieces
Ginger - 2 tsp finely chopped
Green Chilly - 4 to 5 slit
Shallots - 4-5 finely chopped
Chilly powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Coconut oil
Curry leaves
Salt to taste

Preparation
    Prawns/Chemmeen curry with raw mango
  1. Marinate the prawns in 1 tsp chilly powder and salt.
  2. Take the first milk from the coconut and keep aside. To the second milk add mango, ginger, green chilly,chilly powder, turmeric powder, salt and the marinated prawns. Cook it covered till the prawns are cooked and the gravy has become sufficiently thick.
  3. Now add the first milk and boil for 2-3 minutes till it thickens and you get the desired consistency.
  4. In a separate pan, heat coconut oil. Toss in the curry leaves and the shallots and fry till golden brown. Add a little chilly powder and pour this into the gravy and boil for another 2 - 3. Serve hot with rice.









No comments:

Post a Comment