Sunday 14 May 2017

Jordanian Coffee - ||MENA Cooking Club||

This is my first month in the MENA Cooking Club  with Jordan being the chosen country of the month. I am not familiar with Jordanian cuisine except that my last birthday dinner was at a Jordanian restaurant where I relished on Jordanian Mansaf and Mint Tea. Oh and I loved the tea! With Famidha from My life in Yanbu suggesting that I join the MENA club, I decided to put on my boots and get going with the club. I have never been a part of any such food blogging venture before - so it is my first and if laziness does not get the better of me, I intend to keep going:)

I chose the Jordanian coffee for my kitchen to kick start. I am not a great fan of black coffee, so when 2 years ago I ordered a cup of coffee at Cyprus and I was given a small shot glass with dark coffee inside and that smelled so strong, I was bewildered. With great difficulty I gulped it down. I have no idea what made me go back to the same place the next day and order the same coffee. And I did it for another two days at row! So well, the coffee got the better of me. I wanted to pick up a packet of Cypriot coffee powder before I left Cyprus, but my husband was not very sure whether we would love this coffee being a part of our daily routine. So when Jordanian coffee was put in as an option - I thought this was my chance to try an Arabic coffee again ( oh by the way Cyprus is a amalgamation of Arabic food and European - so I am sure their coffee is part Arabic too) Unlike our Starbucks, Costa, CCD, Jordanian coffee is served in smaller cups just enough for a gulp or two and you could always go in for refills. It is usually served with dates or other similar condiments. Traditionally the first cup is given to the host who sips and decides if it fit to be served to the guests. The coffee powder is not sieved out, instead let to sediment before pouring it out. It is usually black coffee but sometimes a little evaporated milk ( modern version I presume) is added which I have chosen to add into my recipe.

kitchenspells.blogspot.com


Ingredients
  1. Coffee powder ( dark roast) - 2 tbsp
  2. Water - 2 cups
  3. Sugar - 1 tbsp
  4. Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
  5. Clove - 1
  6. Saffron - 1 pinch
  7. Evaporated milk - 1 to 2 tbsp
Method

Heat water in a saucepan. Stir in sugar and let it dissolve.Add the coffee powder when the water just begins to form bubbles and bring it to rolling boil. Take it off the flame and set aside for 30 seconds before you bring it on to the flame and boil it again. Repeat this once more. Switch off the flame. Add in the clove, cardamom powder, saffron and evaporated milk. Leave it covered for 2 minutes to let the coffee powder sediment. Pour into small cups without disturbing the sediments at the bottom.




No comments:

Post a Comment